onsdag den 29. juni 2011

PUFA's -the liquid toxic!


I had to make a "quick" blog post today as Undertow made my brain go wandering, with his answer to my question about how he was going on the "sugar-diet". Here is what he replied:

"Sheila,
So far so good, I am doing one large fruit/juice meal later in the afternoons to increase sucrose intake. It does increase acne. Here are my thoughts on that. These are just thoughts, based on my own research on me. Skip if you don't want to read about acne theories...

Acne seems to be related to insulin resistance (high insulin and increased androgen levels, and increased sebum production) and inflammation (stored PUFA's, stress, etc). I can make my acne flare with a low-fat diet and flare when increasing fruit intake, but make it subside when doing low carb, high fat. So how is that related?

Eating low fat (meaning extremely low PUFA, and using SAT fat only, sparilingly), high unrefined starch, with lean protein, allows the body to release stored PUFA. Released through calorie deficit, fasting or exercise. So this would be low grade inflammation, having stored PUFA's in bloodstream, and could increase insulin resistance. This definitely causes acne for me. I grew up with Mazola in everthing!

Increasing fruit, means increasing fructose, which can mean more trigylcerides in the blood, along with stored PUFA's (if released). More fat in the blood, means insulin resistance will likley be higher. This will cause acne for me, but not for someone with a good metabolism, low insulin levels and nominal blood glucose clearance. My last blood test from about a year ago, showed slightly evelated fasting insulin.

So what does all this mean... Seems like to cure acne and reduce sebum production, you need to remove excess stored PUFA's in your body (eat very low fat, ie minimal butter/ghee/coconut oil), get glucose clearance and insulin levels under control (eat lots of unrefined starch without fat, with increasing fruit load without fat), get sunshine, get some exercise, get your sleep...

Why does low carb reduce acne; lowered insulin, lowered fructose and insulin spikes, less stored PUFA's released due to high fat intake.

Why does milk cause acne grief? It spikes insulin very very well, and contains lots of fat to cause insulin resistance in the person with lowered metbolic rate.

Peat also has said that sucrose will increase the metabolic rate, which will cause thyroid and vitamin A levels to compete. This may be a factor as well. Accutane is vitamin A derivative, and works at decreasing the size of the sebaceuos glands, and most likely inhibiting the thyroid, so lowered metabolism; think low carb. Genetics, probably a factor as well."

Thank you Undertow! Very interesting, is all I can say. My thoughts has also lingered around insulin and androgen production (acne) and how some of all this can relate to me and my issues. In fact, a lot of my problems stems from PCOS symptoms which has all to do with increased androgen production that seems to worsen when insulin gets high. PCOS-women is more often than not, overweight and they get told that loosing weight and going low carb, will help eliminate their problems -and I believe them! BUT there is two sides to the story..
Here is my theory WHY: Women with PCOS have insulin resistance, high triglycerides (fat in the blood) -meaning the body is competing against using fat or sugar as energy. Their fatty tissue is loaded with PUFA's which is why the fat is so hard to lose, because PUFA's inhibits the thyroid (low metabolism) which also explains the saying: "Fat is a way for the body to protect itself from a toxic world". -It really is! Loosing weight means releasing toxic PUFA's into the bloodstream, which again will cause a lowering of the metabolic rate, making it even harder to lose more toxic fat. If you have, let's say 50-100kg to lose, that could be a dangerous road to take. Not all fat is the same. Not understanding that, is not seeing the whole picture. Your body ALWAYS tries to protect you! It doesn't care how much fat you carry, as long as it can protect you from the toxicity of it.
This would also explain why, every time I don't get enough calories, my temperature drop immediately. I believe that is because my body then has to release fat (PUFA's) as energy. The PUFA's then inhibits my thyroid, causing my temperature to drop.
Now HOW do I release the toxic PUFA's from my tissue WITHOUT harming myself in the process?? THAT's what I want to know..! 

6 kommentarer:

  1. Ya that last quote makes real sense! Toxic fat storage, protecting you from toxic world!

    SvarSlet
  2. I think I by mistake posted my blog post before I was finished with it. My bad. I am done now ;-D

    SvarSlet
  3. Organism as a Whole posted some good info at my blog today in the comments:

    http://metabolicdrift.blogspot.com/2010/04/milk-diet-week-1.html

    SvarSlet
  4. I mentioned this on the ray peat fans blog but here goes:

    ‎"Accutane is not vitamin A. The body handles it differently from natural vitamin A (see Figure 4) and there are a number of lines of evidence showing that it acts as an anti-vitamin A compound that can aggravate vitamin A deficiency. In newborn mice treated with dexamethasone, a drug that induces emphysema-like changes to lung tissue, natural vitamin A helps treat the disorder while the active ingredient of Accutane has no effect and may even make it worse... (continues)"- Chris Masterjohn, web url ->http://www.westonaprice.org/mentalemotional-health/1571-pursuit-of-happiness

    SvarSlet
  5. ya I have read too that accutane messes with epigenetics also, it is a reverse mirror image of vitamin A or some crazy shit like that.

    "Isotretinoin's exact mechanism of action is unknown. Recent research suggests the drug amplifies production of neutrophil-gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in the skin, which has been shown to reduce sebum production by inducing apoptosis in sebaceous gland cells, while exhibiting an antimicrobial effect on Propionibacterium acnes.[64][65][66] The drug decreases the size and sebum output of the sebaceous glands.[67] Isotretinoin's combined impact on several of acne's contributory factors distinguishes it from alternative remedies, such as antibiotics, and accounts for its greater efficacy in severe, nodulocystic cases."

    SvarSlet