torsdag den 9. juni 2011

Fell in the sugar trap and I don't want out!

Can't believe it has been so long since my last log post. I haven't been here since Christmas! Rosenfeltc (a blogger on 180 ) reminded me of my absence when he posted some questions in the comment section, in my last post. Let's just dive right into it.. I have to admit, I was starting to feel quite discouraged after reintroducing more carbs and calories in general, to my diet. even though I felt better than when I was obviously starving, and my period was back, I still had problems lingering. It felt like the honeymoon was over and some of my problems came back. My hands and feet were still ice cold (which is a true stress response) I still got dizzy when standing up and my energy still just wasn't quite there. I still wasn't able to keep my temperature up, it was hovering around 36 degrees, being higher in the morning and dropping as soon as I got up (sign of high adrenaline in fasted state). Also, my pulse never came above 60.
I believe it was April (late March) i started introducing sugar to my diet, as in Ray Peats recommendations. So more than 2 months have I been doing this.
How was my reaction? Terrible! Acne, bad (face, chest, back)! I felt like I was coming down with the flu! I almost gave up a few times because the acne was so bad, but I had to give this a fair chance before I could give my judgment. I also tried adding a natural thyroid supplement but had to stop it because my resting pulse reached 140 bpm and my blood pressure dropped even further! That was actually quite scary. Here is my theory on why I tink I reacted so dramatically to thyroid meds; 
For example when you go from a starch based diet to a sugar based diet, your adrenals have to kick in higher gear to support your new increased metabolic rate. When you eat starch only, you get satisfied quicker, eat less calories and therefor have a lower metabolic rate so your adrenals doesn't have to do much effort to keep thyroid and adrenals balanced. When you switch to sugar, your metabolic rate increases and your adrenals have to "wake up" and produce more adrenaline, cortisol to make up for inadequate thyroid function, until thyroid hormones eventually can balance out the adrenal hormones.
I believe my adrenals (at the time) was too weak to handle the extra thyroid hormones. Sudden increase in thyroid without the supporting adrenal hormones, yells disaster. It should be interesting to see how my body handles thyroid hormone, after eating a high sugar diet for many months -if I even need it at that time.



I will go more into depths about how my diet is currently looking, in the next blog post.
As of now, I don't have any reactions to sugar anymore. No acne. More energy. Better body composition. My temperature is higher (still not all the way there) And most important, no cold hands and feet! No stress reaction! That is huge!


Btw. I got a an 11 + years old root canal removed because of this blog post from Danny Roddy. Yes, it was infected. I just got it pulled out so now I am missing a tooth in my left side, and I am thinking about getting the other one (right side) pulled out too but I must admit, the thought of missing not 1 but 2 pretty important tooths for chewing, is making me think twice before I decide (plus I'll look funny) One thing is for sure, root canals are no good! read the blog post.
That is it for now... I'll be back!

3 kommentarer:

  1. Alright, I am going to give this a try too, stick to sucrose for main carbs in the AM, and give it a two month try! Good post, I like the adrenal/thyroid thoughts.

    SvarSlet
  2. Thanks.
    I think this might actually work for you too. We have similar problems and you went through some of the same agonies as me, when first starting sugar. Sticking it out is the missing link, I believe.

    SvarSlet
  3. Sheila,
    Im eagerly awaiting for a new blog post and hear how you are doing and how your improvements are going. Btw can you post any pictures of your progress?

    SvarSlet