tirsdag den 5. juli 2011

A bloody mess..


I got my period on Juli 1'st. This time it was only 3-4 days late, which is a huge improvement, since the last 2 months, my period was 14 days late everytime. I still got the mood swings this time, the pre-water retention, swollen sore breasts, and it started about 14 days before my period, which is NOT my idea of fun. I only had 1 day of cramps though, which is new.
Even though cycles isn't the most thrilling thing in the world, I do find it quite interesting and I feel for men, in a way because a womens cycle is a good way to track how your hormones are doing and if what your doing (diet, exercise) has an effect.
When I was going from low carb and dieting in general, to high starch, high calories, I went from very irregular periods (coming every 3-6 months, even up to a whole year at one point) to regular periods in about 3 months. In those first 3 periods, they were still irregular but only with weeks. I experienced pre-water retention, swollen sore breasts, mood swings, you name it, I had it. Eventually they became regular and my pre-symptoms started subsiding. I even remember one time, it came totally unexpectedly because I didn't have any symptoms. Only difference was that my periods was now a little heavier than in my teen years, which was always very light.
Now going full blown sugarlicious my periods became irregular once again, being about 14 days late. I got full blown acne and all my pre-period annoyingness (is that even a word?) came right back. Of course, I stuck it out like a champ -insert innocent smiley here- and eventually my acne stopped. On my 3'rd period in Sugar Land, my period is only 3-4 days late. I still had the pre-menstrual crap but only 1 day of cramps (signs of improvement) AND my period has become lighter and not clotting (hope your not eating jam on toast while reading this)
Every girls hates having their period but I must admit I'm looking forward to my next one because it is in the name of science! I have no doubt in my mind that I am on the right track. Sugar has been the missing link in my diet and the ONLY thing I have been avoiding like the plague in the same time period my health started declining.
 

9 kommentarer:

  1. Hello from Finland :p

    This thread is related to acne, you might find it interesting.
    http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Zinc-Zinc-Regimen-Adul-t243340.html

    SvarSlet
  2. why would she find it interesting if she is now acne-free?

    SvarSlet
  3. Hello Valtsu.

    As Rosenfeltc says, I don't have a problem with acne any longer. With that said, I LOVE reading, especially if it makes me smarter.
    What I think stands out, from the link you gave me, is CARBOHYDRATE MALABSORPTION -I believe this is key! I know plenty of people who doesn't get enough sunlight who has NO problems with acne. As you can read in my blog, I broke out terribly upon increasing my sugar intake, but as my body started to welcome it (heal from carb malabsorbtion) my acne subsided.

    SvarSlet
  4. Oh. I didn't actually notice that sentence ("...and eventually my acne stopped") :O Nice :P

    BTW here's one study link mentioned in the text http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12638695

    This is very interesting too IMO http://www.springerlink.com/content/2yxqhaqdr12m4v7k/ ... It seems to tell that we need quite a lot of light for adequate melatonin suppression.

    According to wikipedia, illuminance of family living room is ~50 lux. That probably suppresses our melatonin by 10%. Daylight which is probably more than 10 000 lux suppresses our melatonin probably 90%.

    Hmm. I'm also testing this Matt Stone'ish eating. Hope this will work... According to Chris Masterjohn's articles, it may be wise to get
    - enough choline (eggs) so that liver can process sugar well
    - get sugars from fruits instead of refined sources (but that's self-evident)

    SvarSlet
  5. Hi again Valtsu.

    Thanks for the links, I will check them out. There is no doubt that sunlight is a very important component to overall health. Everything has its own value.
    I've read Chris Masterjohn's article on choline, a while back, and it definitely makes sense in my head. I'm on the eggs -love them too ;-)

    What health problems are you experiencing? Eating the food (ETF) is definitely not a bad plan when you want to improve your overall health.

    Btw, welcome on board ;-)

    SvarSlet
  6. I had a "burn out" 1,5 years ago after having some stressful things in my life:
    - low carbing (plus low calorie intake because I just couldn't eat enough fat)
    - matriculation exam (studentexamen)
    - one very depressed friend I was trying to help all the time
    - reading these health things, trying to find some solutions to weakening stress tolerance ;)

    And still I can't tolerate stress very well, that's the main problem. I also have some acne problems occasionally but that's not that important. And since the burnout I have gained weight but I'm still not overweight (my BMI went from 21-22 to 24).

    I have been avoiding fructose for a long time because I read low carb things 2,5-3 years ago and LC people demonized fructose. Now I don't think that low amounts are problematic, but I am not sure if it's good to get this much sugar now. Today I drank 2 litres of orange juice, that's 200g sugar = 100g fructose. I'm trying this because I believe this can't be very problematic anyway as my diet is good otherwise and because there are positive experiences like yours. :)

    Thanks for the welcome :P

    SvarSlet
  7. Valtsu-

    Your story seems similar to mine. My cause of stress was a burn-out too.
    I strongly believe that my sugar metabolism (malabsorbtion) was the cause of my symptoms. When you can't use sugar effectively in the body, you can't get over your stress. Sugar is what the body thrives on. Without proper absorption your just walking in circles, going nowhere.
    Maybe YOU can also link your problems to when you started avoiding sugar (going low carb) I know I can. I only got a problem with sugar when I eliminated it out of my life.

    Bring on the juice! ;-)

    SvarSlet
  8. Hey Sheila, how are you doing? You might already know about this, but in case you don't, I just wanted to let you know that in the latest Dr. Peat interview with the "ask your herb doctor" show, Dr. Peat talks a little bit about Hirsutism, which if I remember right that is one of your problems?

    Anyways,you can download the show here http://archive.kmud.org/ it's the one called "Friday Night Talk" from July 15th 2011

    SvarSlet
  9. Hi Rosenfeltc!

    I'm doing good, thanks. I'm due to an update, I know ;-) How are you doing?
    Thank you for the link, you are da man! I didn't know about that show?? I will check it out immediately! Thanks!

    SvarSlet