torsdag den 18. november 2010

Kidney problems?

Finally I got my period yesterday morning. It caught me a bit by surprise because I thought that train had left, for this month. I didn't have any real pre-cramps either, which I normally have ( I do have those cramps now though -there is no escaping, damn you uterus)!This also made my temperature drop, which at one point had been all the way up to the magic 37 number! Yesterday evening, it was all the way back to 35,7 :-( It's so fricking hard for me to keep those temperatures up!
Riles comment yesterday about cortisol inhibiting sodium loss and making kidneys produce hyptonic urine made me go on a little research which lead me to kidney problems. I've been told before, by my last doctor that I do have kidney and liver problems but I somehow haven't been able to untie the knots on this matter. Until I stumbled on this information:
  • In the beginning, kidney failure may be asymptomatic (not producing any symptoms). As kidney function decreases, the symptoms are related to the inability to regulate water and electrolyte balances, to clear waste products from the body, and to promote red blood cell production. Lethargy,weaknessshortness of breath, and generalized swelling may occur. Unrecognized or untreated, life-threatening circumstances can develop.
  • Metabolic acidosis, or increased acidity of the body due to the inability to manufacture bicarbonate, will alter enzyme and oxygen metabolism, causing organ failure.
  • Inability to excrete potassium and rising potassium levels in the serum (hyperkalemia) is associated with fatal heart rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias) including ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation.
  • Rising urea levels in the blood (uremia) can affect the function of a variety of organs ranging from the brain (encephalopathy) with alteration of thinking, to inflammation of the heart lining (pericarditis), to decreased muscle function because of low calcium levels (hypocalcemia).
  • Generalized weakness may be due to anemia, a decreased red blood cell count, because lower levels of erythropoietin produced by failing kidneys do not adequately stimulate the bone marrow. A decrease in red cells equals a decrease in oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, resulting in decreased oxygen delivery to cells for them to do work; therefore, the body tires quickly. As well, with less oxygen, cells more readily use anaerobic metabolism (an=without + aerobic=oxygen) leading to increased amounts of acid production that cannot be addressed by the already failing kidneys.
  • As waste products build in the blood, loss of appetite, lethargy, and fatigue become apparent. This will progress to the point where mental function will decrease andcoma may occur.
  • Because the kidneys cannot address the rising acid load in the body, breathing becomes more rapid as the lungs try to buffer the acidity by blowing off carbon dioxide. Blood pressure may rise because of the excess fluid, and this fluid can be deposited in the lungs, causing congestive heart failure.
 I kinda knew most of these things already but I guess I wasn't really aware of how many of these symptoms actually fits me like a hand in a glove.
I by no means, think that I have kidney failure. I just think my kidneys aren't working like they should.

For a long time I have had problems with my electrolyte balance and I often get generalized swelling or edema.  Basically I have great trouble with keeping the right water balance within and out of the cells.
Lethargy, weakness and shortness of breath is how I feel often.
My last doctor visit revealed that my body didn't use oxygen properly, it didn't get into the cells. I was too acidic and my body couldn't get rid of the waste product.
He also monitored my heart because it tends to skip a beat, every now and then. He found nothing wrong with it though, which I believe is true (nothing is wrong with my heart)! I believe the answer lies in my inability to control my electrolytes. As we now I also have high sodium.
I have been tested high on blood UREA, on several occasions. And I am also low in calcium.
I have a low red blood count which is almost anemic which explains the whole chain reaction explained above.
Only thing that doesn't fit, is a decrease in appetite, which I believe is only something you encounter when your kidneys are about to sign off.

Now I sit with the feeling; was upping my sodium intake a bad idea then? Suggestions for kidney-friendly-diet is low sodium, which I have done in the past. I just don't think cutting out things is a long term solution.
Maybe this explains why I am never thirsty? Because my kidneys have problems excreting and filtering urine?
If I obeyed my body completely, I wouldn't drink any water at all. I am literally NOT thirsty at all. Eating seems to be enough fluid for my body. I still force down 1,5 L because I am unsure what to do.      

2 kommentarer:

  1. I don't think I have kidney problems, even though I used to have red urine when I ate less fruits and vegetables. I know that the red color is different from dark yellow and "thick yellow" colors that I do get if I get dehydrated.

    I didn't eat enough salt last month (again) because I would get really thirsty after, I had experienced symptoms of hyponatremia, such as headaches, dizziness, and shakiness before I had headaches.

    Thankfully, I discovered this link. While I can't diagnose myself because I know I would get them wrong, I think they are a useful guide.

    Eating too much salt at once is dangerous. I would get irregular heartbeat. I stick to food balanced in electrolyte.

    SvarSlet
  2. Thank you. I will check out asap. ;-)

    SvarSlet